In the FFS nutrition module you learned about healthy food. The most important topics you learned were:
- Washing vegetables and fruits
- Cooking procedure
- Balanced diet
- 1,000 day nutrition requirement
- Sugar and salt
This webpage shows nutrition messages which you can share with your neighbors. Explain what you know so that they can learn from your experience.
Wash vegetables and fruits before using them
Before cooking vegetables or eating fruits you should wash them properly. Washing is needed to remove soil, dirt, bacteria and other germs.
Always use clean drinking water for washing vegetables and fruits.
Wash vegetables before cutting them. This prevents the loss of nutrients when you cook the vegetables.
If you eat clean food you will avoid getting diseases.
Use proper cooking procedures
During preparation and cooking of food a lot of nutrients can be lost.
Use the following steps to prepare hygienic and nutritious food:
- Before starting, clean all pots and utensils and clean your hands properly with soap.
- Wash vegetables before cutting them.
- Cut vegetables in big size pieces. If you cut small pieces you will lose a lot of nutrients during cooking.
- Cover the cooking pot properly.
- Don’t cook vegetables too long. If you cook longer they lose more nutrients. Make sure the vegetables maintain their color.
- Don’t wash rice too much and don’t take out the starch extract from rice. If you wash rice too much you are losing important nutrients.
- Don’t use a lot of oil. Too much oil is unhealthy.
- Don’t use too much spices.
- Use iodized salt, but don’t use a lot of salt.
If you follow these cooking procedures you can minimize the nutrient loss from your food and your food will be healthier.
Always eat a balanced diet
A balanced diet contains all the ingredients your body needs.
The main three categories of food are:
- Vitamins and Minerals
Carbohydrates provide the body with energy. Rice, wheat and potato contain carbohydrates.
Proteins are necessary for growth and building your body. Meat, fish, pulses, eggs, and milk products contain proteins.
Vitamins and minerals are necessary to prevent diseases. Vegetables and fruits are an important source of vitamins and minerals.
Your body also needs some oil or fat, but only small amounts. Don’t use too much oil.
Besides food, your body also needs water. Drink enough, but avoid drinks with a lot of sugar.
The picture shows how to balance the different types of food.
If you eat a balanced diet, it will keep your body active, strong and disease free.
Prevent child stunting
The first 1,000 days are the most critical time for the child’s development.
These 1,000 days include 270 days in the mother’s womb, 365 days during the first year, and 365 days during the second year of the child’s life.
Malnutrition during these 1,000 days can cause stunting and will harm the child’s cognitive and physical development.
To prevent stunting, always:
- Take care of pregnant mother and provide her with proper balanced diet and medication.
- Ensure micro nutrients for pregnant mothers.
- Provide iron rich food to the pregnant mother. Leafy vegetables, green banana, stems of aroids, and liver are iron rich foods.
- Provide micro nutrient rich food to the children after 6th month old. Vegetables and fruits contain vitamins and minerals.
- Use vitamin A fortified oil and iodine fortified salt for children. Sea fish also contains iodine.
- Cook and prepare micro-nutrient rich foods like hospos (Kichuri with mixed pulses and rice).
- After 6 months provide extra food to the breast feeding child.
If you maintain proper diet during the first 1,000 days, this will help your child to develop properly, to have the proper height and weight, and to prevent diseases.
Eat more vegetables
Vegetables are very healthy. Your body needs a lot of vegetables.
Vegetables provide vitamins, minerals, fibers and other nutrients.
Try to combine different colors of vegetables like white, green, purple, orange and red.
It is good to eat daily some raw vegetables like cucumber, coriander leaf, green chili, or carrot.
If you eat more vegetables, you will remain stronger and healthier.
Eat more fruits
Fruits are very healthy.
Fruits provide Vitamin C and other important nutrients.
Try to eat a few different fruits each day.
If you eat enough fruits you avoid diseases.
Eat less sugar and less salt
Sugar is unhealthy.
It is better to drink tea with less sugar and avoid sweet drinks.
The body needs some salt, but too much salt is not healthy.
Avoid putting extra salt on your food.
Moringa leaves are healthy
Of the Moringa tree not only the fruits, but also the young leaves can be eaten.
Moringa leaves are very healthy as they are a source of vitamin A and other nutrients.
Including some young leaves of Moringa in your diet will keep you healthy.
Share and look for information
Share your knowledge with your neighbors and friends.
Write down the names and mobile numbers of persons who can provide more information about nutrition and healthy food.
- Community health workers
- Doctors / nurses